woman talking on phone on e. 73rd street:
“only hookers wear red lipstick. only puerto ricans wear red nail polish”
“you’re only 21; you ain’t been out there. you don’t know nothing.”
walking on east 63rd street:
3 year old boy asks mom,
“why are there so many streets?”
mom: “what do you mean?”
boy: “why are there so many streets???”
mom: “do you mean why are there so many streets in manhattan?”
boy: “no, why are there so many streets in the bronx?”
on the m15 bus going up first avenue:
mother slathers 2 year old’s hands with purell.
2 year old boy promptly licks palm & announces:
“that tastes good.”
on 2nd ave at 47th street :
man in suit walking with woman also in a business suit:
“is this 42nd street?”
the bus headed uptown on first ave:
3 year old child told his mother;
“he was dead and he couldn’t walk so he had to go to the hospital.”
on the sidewalk of east 52nd street:
when asked where his young son goes to pre-school;
man #1: “sutton place temple.”
man #2: “is it true that the more money you give at temple, the closer you get to sit to the menorah?”
corner of 53rd street & 3rd avenue:
woman on phone – late 50ish – heavy new yawk accent;
“did you eat?”
“are you full?”
“are you sure?”
2nd ave & 58th street:
teenager asked mother, “who is ed koch?”
50th street & 3rd avenue on st. patrick’s day:
20 something girl #1: “i’ve never been to a st. patrick’s day parade.”
20 something girl #2: “neither have i. i didn’t even know there
51th street & 2nd avenue on st. patrick’s day:
me: “it’s crazy out here.”
doorman: “yeah, it’s a beautiful day to throw up.”
1st avenue at 56th st:
2 moms, 2 strollers, 2 two year old children;
mom #1: “how does he like camp?”
mom #2: “i don’t know, he never tells me anything.”
while shooting pix with my canon 7d on park avenue:
“she has a better camera than you”
Posted in big apple, humor, life, manhattan, ny city life, nyc, Photography
Tagged funny, manhattan, new york, speaking, storypeople, words
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.
~ Dr. Seuss
Posted in giving, God, happiness, inspiring, life, Love, thoughts
Tagged christmas story, dr. seuss, madonna, purple, storypeople
“There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other’s cooking & say it was good.”
Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love.
~ Billy Graham
“Thoughts are just what is. They appear. They’re innocent. They’re not personal. They’re like the breeze or the leaves on the trees or the raindrops falling. Thoughts arise like that, and we can make friends with them.
Would you argue with a raindrop?”
~ Byron Katie
everyday the story of the day arrives in my inbox and makes me smile. love those story peeps. . . .
“Genius. It is just attention to something specific. That’s all it is.”
~ Esther Hicks
“I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.”
– Arthur Rubinstein
Posted in humor, life, Love, Spirit, thoughts, Universe
Tagged art, brian andreas, color, fun, life lessons, love, storypeople
i love warren buffet. i know that because every single thing he says or does makes me happy. here he is at his annual shareholders meeting this year. bill gates watches warren as he attempts to win the paper toss contest by relying on muscle memory from his days as a paper boy while the other kids his age were still sharpening their walking skills . . . warren has generously offered this year’s winner of the paper toss contest a free dilly bar from dairy queen. 🙂
warren owns dairy queen.
“There has never been a day when I have not been proud of you, I said, though some days I’m louder about other stuff so it’s easy to miss that.”
because it’s one of my very favorite businesses and i never want them to go away. storypeople
“Is willing to accept that she creates her own reality except for some of the parts where she can’t help but wonder what the hell she was thinking.”
happy birthday my amazing friend
i love you & wish you the world!!
“Are you a princess? I said & she said I’m much more than a princess, but you don’t have a name for it yet here on earth.”
forgot to pick a future he’d like, so now he’s practicing for the one he’s got.
Strides For Sara
The full moon each month is actually an instantaneous event when the Earth-facing side of the moon is completely lit up by sunlight. For July, this occurred early today (July 15) at 2:40 a.m. EDT (space.com)
“The day he first told me he was starting to disappear I didn’t believe him & so he stopped & held his hand up to the sun & it was like thin paper in the light & finally I said you seem very calm for a man who is disappearing & he said it was a relief after all those years of trying to keep the pieces of his life in one place. Later on, I went to see him again & as I was leaving, he put a package in my hand. This is the last piece of my life, he said, take good care of it & then he smiled & was gone & the room filled with the sound of the wind & when I opened the package there was nothing there & I thought there must be some mistake or maybe I dropped it & I got down on my hands & knees & looked until the light began to fade & then slowly I felt the pieces of my life fall away gently & suddenly I understood what he meant & I lay there for a long time crying & laughing at the same time.”
my 10 year old niece has been begging to sleep over for a long time now. she wants to come just by herself and leave her younger sister sara, at home because once sara got to sleep over aunt laurie’s by herself.
now that the weather is warm there are a lot more ways to entertain a 10 year old for a weekend. i was thinking i would take her to the city pool up on 77th for some fun – until i read this:
New York’s 54 outdoor pools are great places for summer fun and active recreation. Each summer over one million visitors learn to swim, keep fit, make friends, and beat the summer heat.
For everybody’s health, safety, and protection, we ask our guests to observe the following rules:
- Bathing suits must be worn on the deck and in the water. Men’s bathing suits must have mesh linings. Hats may be worn on the deck for sun protection but are not allowed in the water. Plain white T-shirts may be worn over bathing suits if desired. Sneakers are not permitted. Rubber flip flops or water shoes are permitted.
- No urinating or defecating in the pools.
- Children under 16 must be at least eight inches taller than the maximum water depth to enter the pool without adult supervision. Specific height requirements are posted at every pool.
- No person will be permitted in the pool having: skin lesions, sores, or inflamed eyes, mouth, nose, or ear discharge, carrying communicable disease or having any type of bandage, adhesive tape, etc., on their body.
- All bathers must take a shower in the locker room before entering the pool.
- Patrons must provide and use their own padlock. No responsibility is assumed for lost articles. A standard master or combination lock is recommended. Small luggage locks are not permitted.
- The use of swimming aids, water toys, and flotation devices is prohibited.
- Electronic equipment, including radios, cameras, and cellular phones, is not allowed on pool deck.
- Eating or drinking is permitted only in designated areas. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Beach chairs, baby strollers, bags, blankets, or beach balls are not permitted on the pool deck. We will make our best effort to secure strollers.
- Follow the directives of lifeguards, Parks staff, and the police.
- Ball playing, running, jumping, using profane language or other forms of disruptive and disorderly behavior are prohibited.
- No diving, except in designated areas.
- No smoking, pets, or glass bottles permitted.
- Books and bound periodicals are permitted on the pool deck. Newspapers are not.
sheeesh! sounds like almost as much fun as eating glass.
i suppose we can go to the zoo again.
“That’s the thing about free will, he told us. You can drag me along, but there’s no way in hell you can make me have fun.”
“My favorite thing is saying something true, she said, but I’m a lot older than you & don’t have to worry so much about my reputation.”
“I used to be pretty clear on what was real & what I made up, but with everything going on in the world, none of that seems to matter, so I just decided to talk less & smile to myself more, so as not to add to the general confusion.”